Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Rape Post

If I see another rape coverage focusing on women as victims, I may scream.

Women are raped. Lots of women are raped. Lots of young women are raped.

Yes, we know this. Yes, it's a really big problem.

So why is no one talking about the people doing the raping - the MEN? There are few serial rapists out there. Most rapes occur on an individual basis - one man raping one woman. So, if one in five women is raped before she graduates university* that roughly works out to what, 1 in 5.5 men raping someone before they graduate?

I dunno about you all, but I don't believe men are intrinsically bad, evil people. I have a boyfriend I love, and I respect the male friends, family, and role models in my life.

So why the hell are 20% of men committing atrocities of this nature before they reach the age of 30?

THAT is what concerns me. We can focus on the women all we want, and yes, there are issues of significant feminist concern when it comes to rape. But I have, probably twenty men I'm very close to. Statistically speaking, four of them have raped someone, or will rape someone. I will be the first to vouch that they are not bad people. So what's causing them to do bad things?

People who blame women for "asking for it" are, obviously, obnoxious wankers who should be deported. HOWEVER, people get so caught up in the "don't blame the victim" mentality, they forget the next logical step: If it's not HER fault, then it is HIS fault, and there needs to be a reason for that.

The individual women are not the issue here. If they were, the statistics would be much, much smaller. When something affects more than 20% of the population (and counting!),I don't think we're dealing with a series of concerning but individualized cases anymore. That has morphed into a serious societal problem, and it needs addressing as a symptom of an illness afflicting our society society as a whole.

To the world at large: WAKE UP. Our young men are clearly in crisis, and the rest of the country is paying the price.


*Source: http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/college-campus-assaults-constant-threat/story?id=11410988

No comments:

Post a Comment